LiveUSB SDR Environment
A portable SDR development environment - take your projects with you and boot on any PC*
Flash drive specifications:
- 16 GB drive (14 GB persistent file system)
- USB 3.0 Read/Write Speeds: fast boot times (< 1 min) and RF record/playback capability (140 MB/s read & 25 MB/s write).
- USB 2.0 Fallback
- Persistent File System - save files, configurations, and other customizations between boots.
- Ubuntu 12.10 (32-bit)
- GNU Radio (3.6.4) & GNU Radio Companion
- USRP Hardware Driver (UHD) Software (3.5.1git)
- Sample Applications
- SDR Environment Updater
- Source code (in git repos) and generated documentation included
The Ettus Research™ LiveUSB SDR Environment is a bootable USB 3.0 Flash Drive, which contains a complete Linux operating system, the USRP Hardware Driver (UHD) Software and other software that works with the USRP product family. The LiveUSB is ideal for getting the USRP products and associated software up and running as quickly as possible. It is especially useful for:
- Users that are unfamiliar with Linux, UHD or GNU Radio, that wish to experiment before learning the installation process.
- Users with limited access to the online repositories that contain UHD, GNU Radio and sample applications.
- Users that want to use a Linux-based development environment without changing their existing PC configuration.
- Users that want to distribute a standard configuration to many computing systems in classrooms, R&D labs or other environments.
The LiveUSB includes the most recent release (and source code) of UHD, GNU Radio and sample applications at the time the USB image was created (see list above). Upgrading to the latest release of the product, or any of the included source & sample applications, can be done by booting from the drive, being connected to the Internet and running the SDR Environment Updater (or 'git pull' for the relevant source code).
UHD is compatible with all USRP devices, and allows applications to be easily ported across different USRP models. The UHD installation includes documentation and examples. GNU Radio is an easy-to-use, open-source, DSP toolbox that comes with GNU Radio Companion, a graphical development tool.This drive is compatible with USB 2.0 ports, but the system will take longer to boot, load programs, and respond to user interaction. The user must follow a procedure that is appropriate for their PC to boot from the USB drive. Follow instructions during the PC BIOS start-up screens, or reference the user manual for the PC in use for more instructions.
Developing with the USRP product family is now as easy as plugging in the LiveUSB SDR Environment and booting up!
* Ettus Research cannot guarantee functionality or performance across all combinations of computing hardware. User experiences may vary.
** A complete (raw) image of the USB stick, and a tarball of the persistent file system, can be downloaded here.